Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Clock is Ticking

Many people in Indonesia have no sense of time... but what else can you really expect from people in a developing country, right?!
I have come to realize over the past few years that the workpace is completely different in different parts of the world. In some countries, people are pressed for time whereas in other places people have no sense of it. Based off of my own observations, people are generally more efficient in Canada as opposed to in Indonesia or in East Africa.

I would like to clarify that my frustration stems from the disorganization of my first day of work. We left the house at 10:30 this morning to drop Sarah off at her work place at PKBI. When we arrived at 11:15, we were told that everyone had stepped out for a bit. We waited thirty minutes for someone to return. Around 11:45, Winona and I made our way to Dian Interfidi, only to realize that upon arriving, it was a half day for them. We ate lunch with them and discussed our plans for friday, since tomorrow is another national holiday in Yogya. Within the hour, we left Dian Interfidi and returned back to our place.

I'm extremely frustrated because we started preparing a couple months ago for this day, only to realize that it was going to be pushed back. The lesson to be learnt from this experience is to go with the flow and to accept that things will always be disorganized. As long as I keep myself motivated to accomplish my goals, I cannot expect anything from anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment